Vizcaino also noted and named the "Point of Pines" (labeled on today's maps as "Point Pinos", the northernmost point of the Monterey Peninsula).
All other uses of the name Monterey derive from Vizcaino's name for the bay.
Variants of the city's name (from the Spanish Monterrey) are recorded as Monte Rey and Montery.
In 1769, the first European land exploration of Alta California, the Spanish Portolá expedition, traveled north from San Diego, seeking Vizcaino's "Port of Monterey" from 167 years earlier.
In 1602, Spanish maritime explorer Sebastian Vizcaino recorded the name "Bahía de Monterrey", which has evolved into Monterey Bay.
Vizcaino landed at the southern end of the bay and described a great port, suitable for use as an anchorage by southbound Manila galleons.
These include California's first theater, brick house, publicly funded school, public building, public library, and printing press, which printed The Californian, California's first newspaper.
Larkin House, built in 1849 by Walter Colton, was originally both a public school and government meeting place.
The party continued north as far as San Francisco Bay before turning back.The city was originally the only port of entry for all taxable goods in California.All shipments into California by sea were required to go through the Custom House, the oldest governmental building in the state and California's Historic Landmark Number One.Built in three phases, the Spanish began construction of the Custom House in 1814, the Mexican government completed the center section in 1827, and the United States government finished the lower end in 1846.On 24 November 1818 Argentine corsair Hippolyte Bouchard landed 7 km (4.3 mi) away from the Presidio of Monterey in a hidden creek.